Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Bah Humbug

After last night's freak snow storm piled Evansville high with white, I'm starting to reconsider my holiday plans.

Of course, Christmas has been a sore spot for me since middle school. The limbo between family members that hate each other makes for a nauseating couple of days. Since my last paternal connection to the Evansville area disappeared last May, my brother and I were bound for Illinois to spend tomorrow and Christmas Eve morning with my dad and stepmom. Now with traffic conditions as they are, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk the trek that incapacitated my intrepid Ford Taurus last Thanksgiving (that bridge over the Wabash is killer).

Even if I did make it safely to Mt. Vernon, there's a chance we could get snowed in over there and I'd miss Christmas with the people who (let's be honest) are more important to me (especially a certain Helsinki-bound friend:) ). The more I think about it, the more I just want to call the whole Illinois trip off. This could be the best Christmas ever. Why should my family be able to turn it into a nightmare?

No comments: