Thursday, December 02, 2004

Beach bum

I'm going back to where I came from
So far away, but not so far from home
Where I lay my head down by the sea
I'm going back to where we'd go
So far away,but not so far from home
Where I'd rest, where I'd lay so peacefully

-"One More Minute" by Authority Zero

The beach sounds amazing right now. Sometimes (though not very often) I get these strong urges to be back in Hawaii listening to waves rolling into Anaehoomalu Bay. Maybe I'm just tired of cornfields and icy sidewalks.

Hawaii is no where in sight, though. That's fine. The yearning will subside. Still, hearing about our beachside accomodations in Ireland fills me with excitement. It won't be the same as A-Bay, but that's probably a good thing! I just want to watch the ocean.

When I used to go to Camp Erdman on Oahu, there was this picnic table by the beach that my friends would go to all the time. We called it Koinonia, mostly because we liked the name. Chris used to say it was the most peaceful place on earth. He might have been right.

It's been a long time since a place has given me a sense of peace. I've had moments in the past few weeks where I'll feel this deep sense of serenity, but it's not a particular place that brings it on. I'm looking forward to Ireland's true natural beauty. From what I hear it's one of those places that inspires communion with God. Until then, I'll be at the beach... if only in my mind.

No comments: