Monday, February 07, 2005

Blending in

I got mistaken for a local today. I was walking to the Post to mail a letter to Finland and a woman with a car full of jersey-clad kids pulled up beside me. She asked for directions to a football pitch, assuming I was a native of the area. Of course, I opened my mouth and the jig was up, but it was interesting to feel like I blended in. Well, actually, I don’t feel like I blend in at all, but I still thought it was funny watching her face when she realize I was American and she hadn’t detected me.

4 comments:

Cliff said...

That happens to me all time here, except I know that I've been mistaken for a Finn when someone walks up to me and starts speaking Finnish. I haven't determined the best reaction, though. So far I've tried: "Uhh...English..."; "I'm sorry, I don't speak Finnish"; or sometimes I just act like I understand and get away as quickly as possible.

Megan said...

I actually thought about you when it happened and how people are always talking to you in Finnish... like that one guy with the explosion... what was that all about? I miss you!

Anonymous said...

So you are an Irish lass now? I am enjoying the pictures. Love, Mom

Megan said...

I wouldn't call myself an Irish lass. My American-ness is just harder to detect when I'm not surrounded by 21 fellow Taylorites.