Thursday, February 17, 2005

Glendalough

On Tuesday we went to Glendalough, an ancient monastic city set in the “valley of two lakes.” After viewing the settlement, which is basically a cemetery amid ancient ruins, we went on two hikes. First we walked out to a spot where we could see the mountain face on which Kim Irvine died three years ago this March. We had a moment of prayer for her family and sang the Doxology. Then we had lunch and hiked up the mountain (using a trail with stairs) to overlook the valley.

The hike up the mountain was probably my favorite hike so far. It was a strenuous, vertical assent most of the way, but I kept pace with Dr. Harbin (who is a retired navy officer) and made it to the top without any difficulty. It was quite a nice view, although it was overcast. Here’s a photo of me atop the mountain (I think the mountain’s called “Spink”) taken by Trista.



I liked this trip more than the others because we got to see natural Ireland. It reminded me of the national parks I’ve been to in the States. On the way home, our bus driver drove through Sally Gap and showed us where scenes from the movie Excalibur were filmed. I was tired, though, and fell asleep on the bus coming into Greystones.

Tomorrow we leave for a 5-trip to Northern Ireland. Please keep us in your prayers.

No comments: