Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Laundry service.

I just had a very interesting experience that makes me very thankful I live in an all-girl dorm.

English’s (my residence hall’s) laundry room flooded two weeks ago, rendering the facility useless in the meantime. Last week I did my laundry at a friend’s house, but this week I decided to go do my laundry at next door, coed Gerig Hall.

I finished a test early today and figured it’d be as good a time as any to find a washer. My hunch proved correct as I encountered two empty washers in their laundry room. I loaded the washers and headed back to my apartment for a snack.

A half hour later, I returned to discover my laundry had disappeared. I looked all over the table and other washers and couldn’t find my clothes. I finally looked up to see that my laundry had been stashed above the dryers at a height of eight feet. Do the math… I’m about 5’4”. I had to climb up on the adjacent washers just to get my wet laundry down. This kind of thing would never happen in English, mostly because no one is tall enough to get the laundry up there in the first place.

Also as I was leaving Gerig, the strap on my trusty collapsible hamper snapped off. That strap lasted four years in two different countries. It’s so sad that now it’s gone. It also makes it very difficult to wield my laundry now.

No comments: