Monday, September 19, 2005

Telling Secrets

“[Our] original shimmering self gets buried so deep we hardly live out of it at all … rather, we learn to live out of all the other selves which we are constantly putting on and taking off like coats and hats against the world’s weather.”
– Frederick Buechner, Telling Secrets

The other day at breakfast I came across the above quote in John Eldredge's The Sacred Romance. It reminded me of Jennifer Lewis and our Ireland group therapy session cleverly disguised as "Cross-Culteral Living" class. She read to us from a lot of books including Buechner's Telling Secrets and even had us write a short paper on the "shimmering self." Jennifer thought it should have been called "Telling Stories," but that doesn't matter.

Anyway, a few days later I was in Jenny's apartment in Indy and she had Telling Secrets and we got to talking about it. She offered to loan it to me, but I said, no, I probably should read for class (lol).

Well, I think God wants me to read Telling Secrets because not 48 hours later, Vance gave me my own copy of the book. I started it on the way to/during Media & Rhetorical Criticism and it's quite good. I may need to put it on hold for a few days until I can get digital video out of the way, but we'll see how long I can resist. Stay tuned for more comments.

No comments: