Thursday, January 12, 2006

"All I do is sleep all day, I think of you."

“Love is no big truth; Driven by our genes, we are simple selfish beings.”
-- Kings of Convenience

For the last couple of days, I’ve been thinking about how true that line is about me. I hate that. I don’t want to be a “simple selfish being” to whom “love is no big truth.” I want love to be all that is Truth. But then I find myself in a situation where my wants aren’t being met and I lash out. Chalk it up to human nature, I guess.

And yet even though I default to selfish Megan, I know there’s a part of me that can transcend all that determinism. If Jesus Christ is the truest thing about me (and I believe He is) and God is love, then I must be capable of love. Maybe the Kings of Convenience have it all wrong. I suppose it depends on one’s definition of love.

In Christian Marriage, we learned about Agape love, benefiting love, the commitment to unselfishly give to another according to his/her need. Human beings by themselves are not capable of this type of love. Sure, we can do nice things for each other, but when it comes down to it, I’m looking out for me. Yet God promises us that we can love like He loves when we submit ourselves to Him.

I do think Kings of Convenience are onto something when describing the universal experience of precarious human relationships, but I have such hope that love IS big Truth, that it not only exists but is attainable and livable. Call me romantic, but I think discovering this Truth is what life is all about.

No comments: