Monday, October 10, 2005

O tidings of comfort and joy (comfort and joy)

Sometimes I feel like two people at once. No, that’s probably not right. I’m one person with very conflicting emotions. My heart is reeling in confusion and pain. I don’t know what to do with it. I don’t know how to face it. And yet, there is hope. Again, I’m humbled and thankful for my friends.

Yesterday, Margaret and I went to Indy after church. We ate at Panera and studied for an hour or so before heading to the airport to pick up Alison. Alison’s flight was delayed in Pittsburg, so Margaret and I went to Starbucks and studied and drank coffee (actually, I had an amazing strawberries and crème frap. I was a little coffeed out after MAC and Panera). We made a new “friend” just before leaving to meet Alison in baggage claim. Even though I was tired and occasionally frustrated (especially when I missed an exit on my way to the airport), I had a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon with my roommate. It definitely would not have been the same without her.

On the way home, traffic stopped dead on I-69 for about twenty minutes. I’m still not sure why. When we finally got moving, there was nothing to indicate a crash but a bent guardrail. It was ok, though, because while we were stopped, Alison showed me pictures from her friend’s wedding. It was so good to have Alison back. She always leaves this distinct void when she isn’t around. The longer-than-usual ride back from Indy was quite pleasant with her there.

We made it back to the DC in time for dinner, which was surprisingly delicious. After we got back to the apartment, Margaret found out her sister is pregnant, so we went out to celebrate at Payne’s, but first we stopped by the Brick House. Jenny called with more good news and there was much rejoicing and happiness.

I’m doing a Beth Moore study of the Fruit of the Spirit, and yesterday I was learning about phileo (friend) love. One of the verses really struck me as I remembered all of my friends.

“Suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.'” (Luke 15:8-9)

The word for “friends” in this passage is actually best translated “girlfriends.” It gives a Biblical model for how friends react to each others’ good news. We rejoice! I’m so thankful for my friends, that even in the midst of all this pain and confusion, I can be joyful with them.

No comments: