Sunday, December 25, 2005

Happy Birthday, Jesus

Since the twins were born, we started making a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas. According to my grandmother, it's a German tradition. Having little to no background in German Christmas traditions, I'll have to take her word on that. The cake was red with a single white candle in the middle. The red represented Jesus' sacrifice while the candle represented his "light of the world" status. My cousin Sam said the cake should have been white because Jesus didn't die until Easter, but I wasn't about to argue theology with a 6-year-old.

"Christmas" is now over. It's funny how fast it ends. I was barely awake this morning before breakfast was eaten and the presents were unwrapped. Somehow I'm not sad about that. Christmas doesn't hold much magic to me anymore.

But there is something I've been anticipating for the last few weeks: a trip to Florida with the Fieldhouses. In a few minutes, I'll be delivered from Eville. I'll meet up with Kimbra and the fam somewhere near Louisville and continue on to Naples for a week of relaxation. So excited.

Of course, there's much more to look forward to after Florida. January 14, for example. That's where the magic is for me right now.

No comments: