Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"... What's goin' on in the kitchen, but I don't know what's cookin'"

I love Rachael Ray.

There, I've admitted it, but it's not exactly my deepest, darkest secret. Actually, it's no secret at all. It's common knowledge that I'm quick to tune into anything starring the bubbly brunette, be it 30-Minute Meals, $40-a-Day, Tasty Travels, etc. She's fun, she makes great food, and she has excellent advice.

Therefore I was sold on the virtues of Balsamic Vinegar the moment she touted it's benefits. Indeed, her Rosemary Chicken Breast recipe was a real crowd pleaser when I made it earlier this summer. Great, I have one recipe that calls for BV and a bottle of the stuff collecting dust under the stove. What else can I do with it?

The idea came to me after my mom let me in on the family recipe for Salmon Patties. They're delicious, but lack something in the flavor department. As I thought back on my chipper days in Ireland, the thought occured to me: fish and vinegar rock together. What would happen if I put balsamic vinegar in the pattie recipe? The rest is history.

Now I'm following in Ray's footsteps engineering my own recipe. I'm so excited about it, I want to share it with the world. So here it is, Megan's Balsamic Salmon Patties:

Ingredients:
1 can of salmon fillets
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of oats (substitute crushed crackers)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pure canola oil

Procedure:
Combine ingredients in bowl (TIP: strain fillets first. If cohabitating with cats, strain excess oil/water into dish on floor for them to lap up). Fill frying pan with oil to between a quarter and half an inch from the bottom. Heat on medium. Fashion salmon/oat/egg/vinegar mixture into patties. Plop in oil, cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and wick away excess liquid with paper towels. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"what a woman!"

i'm making it :)

tell you how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

delete the first one....

"oopsy daisy."