Monday, June 07, 2004

Ax murderer and the dreaded story conference

TMatt made me cry today for the first time during the program. I hoped he wouldn't get to me, but my defenses were no use against his glaring, superior attitude.

It was that stupid story conference! I go in with six ideas for stories and he maintains that I don't have a clue what I'm doing. If you don't know who TMatt is (and you might not because, although he thinks he is, he's not that famous), he's this nationally-syndicated shrew of a man who writes religion columns for Scripps-Howard. He's basically a pompous ass with an ego the size of China. While I've learned from his lectures, I'm not at all charmed by him. He's one of those head-in-the-sand Christians. I swear. We'll be watching a movie and he'll come down and sit and talk the whole time, trying to analyze why we're watching this movie and what a fallen generation we are. He wrote a column two weeks ago critiquing the spirituality of two movies he hadn't even seen! He just reads the reviews! And last night, we were watching the Tonys, and he didn't even know what Bollywood was. This guy's a media prof???

Ok, so I'm a little ticked. This whole experience, SIJ, I mean, has been a blast, with the exception of a freaky-bearded, pug-nosed jerk we call a teacher. Now I have NO idea what I'm doing for stories this week and the clock is ticking. Thanks a lot, TMatt.

No comments: