Thursday, June 03, 2004

Huxtable in the Park

"Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were but little happy if I could say how much." - Claudio, Much Ado about Nothing

Maybe that would explain my silence since last weekend. Or maybe it's because I've been too busy with stories. Whatever the case, it's been a nice week.

Last night, I went to Shakespeare in the park starring none-other-than SONDRA HUXTABLE of The Cosby Show! Her real name is Sabrina La Beauf. Now she's a professional Shakespearean in the Park here in DC. Even though she wasn't my fav. Huxtable (that honor goes to Phylicia Rashad), I was quite star-struck.

The show was absolutely AMAZING, even tho half-way thru the first act, it started raining (noticing a trend?). Even tho I'd never read the play, I understood what was going on and was interested through the entire thing. I'm such a Much Ado fan now.

Getting there was half the fun. It was on the other side of the city, so we had to take Metro and bus. I'm not a huge fan of the bus. I'll stick to my Metro routes as much as possible from now on.

Tonight, Simone and I are going to watch Waking Life. I've never seen it, so I'm kind of excited. I was writing my story all day and didn't get to see any of the National Spelling Bee on ESPN, so I'm kinda bummed. Oh well.

I'm beyond tired, but excited about the movie. Tomorrow we're all going to see HARRY POTTER!!! I seriously can't wait. Those kids are so darn cute!

2 comments:

Neville said...

Yay Shakespeare!!! You should take the class with Dr. Ricke before you graduate (titled, "Shakespeare"). Even if you don't need it (I didn't either) take it pass/fail or audit it. It's awesome just to sit in and be exposed to those stories. Much Ado is very funny and I'm jealous you got to see it at Shakespeare in the park (I've heard how good that is). "Waking Life" is one of the most unique movies I've seen, but it's more of an hour and half of philosophical / theological / supernatural / existential conversations than anything else. The first time I tried to watch it I hated it (about 3-4 years ago) and turned it off after 20 min. But then, once you watch more and more, it gets really interesting. They talk a lot about God and creation and how there's a unviversal moral law and it would really make a fascinating discussion at a church sunday school class if you ask me. Tell me your thoughts---on the blog is fine. :) It looks like D.C. is treating you great! Miss you Megan! :)

Megan said...

Aw, Nevie!!! I miss you, too!

I hope I have time to take Ricke's class. He seems like a great teacher. Intense and a little eccentric, but great.

I actually REALLY liked Waking Life. It was pretty intense, and sometimes I felt like I was sitting in class (which was not at all pleasant), but it totally blew my mind, which was fun. My friend/roommate Simone and I were the only ones that got into it tho. Three other SIJers set out to watch it with us, but they fell asleep. It's ok, tho, cuz they'd been covering the National Spelling Bee that day and were totally wiped.

I think he dies at the end, but my friend Dena (who owns the movie) says she has different ideas about it each time she watches it. Anyway, it's really interesting and I'm glad I watched it and that it was made. I thought of you while I was watching it, which was fun :).