Wednesday, February 15, 2006

"I love the things that we should fear"

I just counted. I’ve had seven cups of coffee today. Excessive? Yes. But is it lethal?

I seem to remember Dr. Cosgrove citing 10 cups/day as the indication of a problem. If memory serves me well, I’m in the clear. Still, I’m aware that many of the chemicals present in coffee affect brain activity in adverse ways. At this point, I’m willing to suffer the consequences.

My cursory research in such scholarly publications as Prevention and Psychology Today indicates that drinking coffee does have its benefits, most notably in diabetes prevention. Excellent. I hope those are valid studies and not just media hype. I would do some serious research on PsychINFO for some more credible, peer reviewed data, but I’m not really feeling it right now.

It’s interesting to note that not one of today’s seven coffees was made by Steve, my favorite barista. In the past four days I’ve spent way too much money on him. What can I say, he is the master. Last Friday he made me a triple grande vanilla hazelnut latte that was so perfect I almost peed my pants. He’s working more hours at Northern Lights now. That’s a problem for my wallet.

No comments: