Friday, September 17, 2004

A place that needs to be believed to be seen

In an effort to escape Open House madness, Janell, Jenny, Margaret and I went to the Union for the Steve Stockman forum. Stockman wrote the book Walk On which chronicles the spiritual journey of U2. Basically, we just went there to listen to his Irish accent and drink coffee, but we got more than we bargained for.

As the other girls (who have already been to Ireland) waxed nostalgic, my excitement for next semester grew. The talk wasn't even about Ireland. It was about the role of art in the Church and how U2 has ministered to the world of rock. I was so expecting a pointless TMatt "Faith, Bruce and U2" lecture, but instead of a self-righteous American guy who looks like a dung beetle, I got a "stocky" Irish man with a heart for art in faith. Every Irish nuance triggered a thrill deep within me. I want to know the Irish people. I want to understand their history, their pain and their turmoil. Just a few more months!

For now, I'm in Upland and I guess that's cool. There's something inside of me, though, that longs for something more. Presently, I'll have to be content to dream of the Wicklow mountains, ancient castles and blue shores.

No comments: