Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Wake up, O Sleeper.

I just finished reading Waking the Dead by John Eldredge. I know, I'm the slowest reader ever to touch a book, but I love to take my time when it comes to reading, especially if the book is worth it. This book was worth it.

It opened my eyes to a God I'd been ignoring for the past seven years. A God who set me free from my past. A God who aches to heal my wounds. A God who treasures my heart.

After I returned from D.C. last summer, my mom told me I should read Waking the Dead. I nodded and said I'd add it to my list, although I never intended to crack the cover. She purchased a copy for me in case I ever got around to it. She must have known I'd be needing it soon. I was about to have a revelation.

I had it all wrong. I thought my heart was evil, that it was only by God's grace I could ever be loved. Then one late-summer night in JoJo's, something roused me from my slumber. That night, I took my copy of Waking the Dead off the shelf and continued to shed my theological cocoon.

The past few months have been a journey. Each day, I awaken to new truths about my God and my faith. The funny thing is, these truths all contradict everything I thought I believed. MAC always warns about playing church. I'd been playing Christian.

The most scary thing about this new knowledge is the startling reality of spiritual warfare. For the first time, I recognize my intrinsic value to God. Satan HATES that. He's going to throw everything he has at me. He'll break in at any possible entrance. He'll see my weaknesses and capitalize on them. Am I strong enough for this?

No, but better is he that is in me than he that might steal my joy. One of my favorite verses is 2 Corinthians 12:10, "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. " I claim this promise daily. I'm at war. It's time to wake up.

Wake up, O Sleeper and raise your head,
The Lord's gonna raise you from the dead.
Shine on. Shine on.
Dead men walk around left and right,
The Lord's gonna heal them with his light.
Shine on. Shine on.
Christ my savior and my strength,
He's gonna take care of everything.
Shine on. Shine on.
Crucified savior rise from that grave.
Tell me now, brother, do you wanna be saved?
Shine on. Shine on.

-Josh Garrels, "Shine On"


No comments: