Sunday, October 03, 2004

So this is happiness.

Apparently, I haven't been happy in ages. One of the freshmen told me this weekend was the first time she'd ever "seen me happy." Well, I suppose I had reason to be.

After a week of struggling to keep my head above water, I decided to let go of three credit hours. I'm taking my life back. Lately, I've been scaring people. Even Dr. Snyder told me I worried him last Friday in class. I'm neglecting relationships and I'm neglecting myself.

I used to love going to meetings because I thought they made me sound important. Now I realize how meaningless they are. I mean, sure, sometimes we need collective planning time, but are weekly meetings for every organization really necessary? I'm starting to hate meetings.

I'm realizing just how many of the things I've thought were important aren't important at all. Grades, projects, business... sure those things demand attention, but they shouldn't require the loss of my sanity.

This weekend was just what I needed. I didn't touch my homework, but ignoring my studies in and of itself didn't grant me happiness. A friend came up to visit me, and his mere presence elevated my spirits beyond recognition. He made me feel cherished and worthy. He offered me a hand and lifted me out of the pit I'd dug myself into. People noticed. It was incredible.

Now I must return to my studies (sans typography), but this weekend was beyond therapeutic. I'm thankful for this time. I'm happy.

No comments: