Monday, May 31, 2004

And the thunder rolls...

Yesterday, I skipped church to ride on the back of a motorcycle in the annual Ride for Freedom. I met my bikers in the Pentagon parking lot and chilled for about an hour. At noon, more than 400,000 bikers (and I) left the parking lot en route to the National Mall. It was FABULOUS! I've never ridden on a motorcycle before. It was so free... so fun!

Crowds of thousands of people gathered to watch the procession from the sidewalk. One Marine stood in the middle of the rode and saluted the ENTIRE group! What a man :). Everyone was cheering and waving... What a rush!

After the ride, I walked back to the apartment as fast as possible and pounded out my story. I finished it and sent it off before dinner and headed out to dinner with Dena, Eric and Greg.

NOTE TO SELF (and anyone else who happens to read this blog): DO NOT EAT AT POPEYES!

We went to Eastern Market to get some dinner and the only place that looked somewhat cheap was Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits. I know Beyonce Knowles likes it, and who can argue with Beyonce, so we head on inside. Just about everyone working behind the counter was COMPLETELY incompetent. The chicken had all the taste of flour and the soda had a strange taste to it. Greg had to wait 15 minutes for his chicken sandwich. When he asked where his sandwich was, the worker said, "What sandwich?" AHAHAHHA!

By the time we got back to the apartment, the chicken was hitting me hard. I don't think I'll ever eat at that place again.

Anyway, last night we watched Spellbound because a lot of the people here are covering the Bee next week. It's a hilarious movie. I highly recommend it.

Today I've been so lazy. Grant, Simone and I ventured out for some BBQ, but that's about it. My second story got published, so that was cool. The photo's not on the site, but I heard it got published in the actual paper. I can't wait to go home and see my stuff in print!

I'm so glad I decided to do SIJ. It's been an ABSOLUTE blast. I know I've said that already, but it just keeps becoming more true. I love D.C. and I'm SOOOOO glad I'm here.

No comments: