Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I'm no hero

According to Margaret, I saved her life today.

She and I went to work out at 8 a.m. this morning, as is our Tuesday/Thursday routine. About half-way through a solid cardio-session, Mags stopped and told me she would not be finishing today because she was cramping. I bid her farewell and continued sweating to the Special Report on the mistreated war prisoners.

A few minutes later, I'm checking my pulse and Annie Calhoun comes up to me and tells me the Margaret is downstairs and thinks she's gonna pass out. I had NO idea what to do. I ran downstairs and there was Mags, curled up in a little ball, moaning in pain. She said she's never hurt so badly in her life. I was scared. I told her to just relax and bought her a juice.

Margaret did not feel like she could walk all the way to the health center, so I tried to find a car. I called everyone on the wing whose numbers I could remember. Either everyone was at class or they were going class. I had a class to be at to, but I figured this was a little more important. I was actually angry at these girls for valuing their attendance records over their friend. I just hope no one has to go to class when I'm lying on the bathroom floor doubled over in pain.

I called the health center and they called campus safety to come pick us up. In a few minutes, we were in the air conditioned bliss of a campus safety vehicle. By the time we reached the Health Center, Mags felt much better. I think the heat got to her, although she's from Texas and is used to the heat.

After a vitals check, the nurse said she wasn't dying and offered her a room to relax in. We went in there and talked. Although I probably should have left her there and gone to class, I'm glad I didn't. I really care about Margaret. She's been such a light to me this semester. I'm so glad she came back from Ireland!

At lunch, she was telling everyone about how I "saved her life," but I don't think I deserve any credit for that. I had no idea what to do, and I was afraid that if I did do anything I'd hurt her even more. I know people have stepped up to help me get through things like that... like my roommate a few weeks ago. I guess it's just time for me to give back.

No comments: