Thursday, May 27, 2004

Look for my byline

I submitted my first REAL story today to the Evansville Courier and Press. It should go to print on Saturday morning. I can't wait!

Back to the game last night...

Ok, so we leave the apartment at 4:35 p.m. and returned at 1:30 a.m. The funny thing is, all we did was go to a ballgame.

We took the train to Baltimore and Camden Yards. It's an absolutely gorgeous stadium! It's also really huge. We got in with nosebleed tickets for $9 which turned out great because we were under the overhang. As the fifth inning began, the skies opened up and the tarp pullers went into action.

For 65 minutes, it poured. The large white tarp over the baseball diamond turned into a gigantic, illegal slip n' slide. One lucky guy eluded security guards and raced onto the field, making a bee-line for the tarp. What is it with grown men and slip n' slides? The best part was when he got up and put his hand behind his back so the guards could cuff him and take him away. What a moment.

When the game finally got going again, the runs kept coming. The game was SO close! One inning, the Yankees would be leading, the next inning, the Orioles were back on top. During the last two innings, Eric, Dena and I found seats around the tenth row to take pictures. I was SO close to Derek Jeter! It was amazing.

Anyway, Yankees won 12-9. I'd been cheering for the Orioles, so I was a little bummed. We took a bus back to DC and walked from Union Station to the apartment. First, we stopped by 7-11 because we were all STARVING. There were so many police officers hanging out in there! They were just chillin, drinking coffee and waiting for someone to break the law. Ha!

Tonight I went back to 7-11 with some of the girls just for the heck of it. I gave a homeless woman 50 cents, which I'm not sure if I should have done, but I felt really moved to. On the one hand, I work hard for my money and I've heard how people like that can take advantage of you. On the other, she is a person who God loves and I should show her grace. Her hands were so soft and her nails were painted hot pink. She had these large brown eyes and her hair was pulled back in a pink bandana. I can't imagine being in her position, asking strangers for money I did not earn. I can't imagine the despair and humiliation. It's so easy to ignore people when you don't look at them, but if they touch you on the elbow and look into your eyes like she did, how do you say no?

web

Eric, me and Dena at the Orioles game in our SWEET seats

No comments: