Friday, May 28, 2004

I heart bikers

I had an absolute BLAST today, altho it's not how I planned it.

I had hoped to have the day to relax and reorient myself... and type up my budget (newspaper-speak for story plans). Of course, that meant sleeping it, but with the constant sirens outside our window, that just didn't happen.

I worked out for the first time since I've been at SIJ. They have the cutest little workout room in the building next door. I watched Fox News and CNN while I trained. It felt great to work out again, not that I haven't walked my BUTT off since I've been in DC. Eight days... can you imagine?

So I take a shower and check my phone and I have a missed call from Don Johnson, my biker guy that I'm writing my first two stories on. I called him back but he was on his bike, so a few minutes later he called me back. He said the group was headed over to the Capitol building for a tour and asked if I'd like to join them. Of course I would!

An hour later, I was on my way to the Capitol to meet my boys (and girls). Walking there, I was really nervous, but after meeting them, it was totally cool. They're probably the most fun, open, friendly people I've ever met! Some of them look like ordinary folks. Others look like they could pop my head off with their eyelashes. They're all really nice tho.

Our Capitol building is AMAZING! The art is breathtaking and the history is fascinating. I spend most of my time observing the group, but I couldn't help but be distracted by the majesty of this place.

I went back to the apartment and typed up a budget. Dinner was on our own tonight, so Simone, Grant, Ariel, Eric and I ordered CHINESE! There's this great place in Eastern Market that delivers to our apartment. It was fabulous. It reminded me of Hong Kong... only one more month and I'll be back there. Whoa...

I met with TMatt and Pam for my story conference, which wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done. When it comes to journalism, I just don't think TMatt can be nice. I can take criticism, but only constructive criticism. Most of his remarks are not constructive. Anyway, I'm not worried about it. I think I'm doing a decent job.

Erin and I went back out to meet our bikers for the Vigil at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. IT was my first time to the Wall, so it was a neat experience for me. Top, this huge biker guy with a shiny bald head and tattoos up his arms, took me around to all the statues. Tell me what you see, he asked me. Then he told me what he saw. He saw so much more, because he'd been there. He told me the significance of the little details in the way the soldiers and nurses were wearing their clothes and gear. He had so much insight! What an experience.

Coming back on the Metro, Erin and I talked about life and love. I think I've mentioned how much I love the Metro. I don't know why I'm so interested in transportation, but for some reason, I am.

That puts me about right here, sitting in front of the computer, delaying sleep. I have a lot of reading to do, but I'm not terribly interested. I'll probably do it anyway. You know how I do.

No comments: