Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Home

Ethan Daly once said if he could choose the color of carpet for his heavenly mansion, he'd choose chartreuse. Every once in a while during the past few months I've come to the tragic realization that I won't have any classes with Ethan next year. I'm going to lose all my quote material for my AIM away messages!!! BAH!

But Mr. Daly is not the real topic of this post.

When most people think of their "dream house," they think of mansions. They want huge, expensive houses in which to accumulate stuff. While I can't say none of that interests me at all, I'd much rather dream of a log cabin.

I don't really know why I love log cabins. Maybe it's because they're so simple and cozy and personal. When you live in a cabin, the world around you becomes your own and you become a part of it. All you need to do to escape into nature is go outside.

I also like to live in inner-city apartments, I guess for the opposite reasons. When I lived in D.C., we stepped out of our door and greeted the essence of humanity. It wasn't always pretty, but it was REAL. All night we'd hear police sirens and trucks. It actually became a sort of lullaby. I loved walking down the street with my key in my hand and climbing up four flights to stairs to the room I shared with Simone (I miss Simone). Everything was within walking distance. The city was ours.

The only place I don't particularly like to live is the suburbs, which is funny, since that's where I've spent most of my life. I hate being dependent on a car to get out and experience the world. I hate seeing opulence wasted on a people so consumed with getting "more."

Skip the chartreuse carpet, God. I'll take a simple log cabin.

No comments: