Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Consider me Bi-Coastal

In the past few days, I've seen two movies set on opposite U.S. coasts. Here's my take on them.

I saw Collateral on Friday night. I'd recommend it to anyone over age 13 who has a pulse. The acting is phenomenal and the camera work inventive. Jamie Foxx totally stole the show as Max, the unfortunate cab driver. You'll want the big screen for this one, so get out there while it's still in theaters. 8/10

Yesterday, I saw Garden State. It was also excellent, although I can't recommend it to everyone. There's a lot of bad language (Isn't it funny how movies are the only place you see EVERYONE use the f-word to punctuate each statement? In the real world, this unattractive habit confines itself to a small demographic) and explicit drug use which both serve to distract from the movie more than add to it. Besides these details, Zach Braff's writing is incredible, definitely not what I'd expect from a freshman filmmaker.

The film is not without its flaws. For example, when Braff's character, Large, takes himself off the extensive list of meds he's been on since he was 10-years-old, he does so without any ill effects. I know from experience that it's not so easy to extricate one's self from the control of medication, yet Large doesn't seem to encounter any withdrawal symptoms. Yeah, that's believable.

However, the movie's amazing soundtrack moves it past some slight factual discrepancies. It's a sweet little movie, although a little sappy at the end. Braff's talent is undeniable, but the movie didn't move me in the way I thought it should have. I'll give it a 6/10.

No comments: