Saturday, August 14, 2004

Love means never having to say you're sorry?

I must admit I haven't seen the movie Love Story in its entirety, but I caught glimpses of the 1970 film last semester as I tried to distract myself from an Aesthetics paper. Some girls on my wing were obsessed with the show, not because they're hopeless romantics, but because the movie is so bad it's funny.

From what I can see, the movie's mostly harmless, although its most famous line tends to irk me. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." The claim couldn't be more off base.

I've realized lately that love is a series of apologies. I make mistakes everyday, especially when it comes to the ones I love. I smart off to my mom. I roll my eyes at my brother. I say things to a friend without thinking them through. Eventually I come to my senses and apology is the only way I can get back home.

Even God's love is based on forgiveness initiated by apology. We show God we love him when we say we're sorry... and mean it.

Perhaps I'm taking Jenny (the girl in the movie) out of context. Maybe she meant her husband didn't have to say he was sorry because she already knew it. I doubt that, though. Being in love never gave me ESP.

As long as I'm here on earth, I'm going to have to trust verbal communication. It's not always accurate, but it's more realistic than that mind-meld crap. I've hurt enough people by abstaining from apology. When I wrong my loved ones, I have every intention of telling them I'm sorry.

1 comment:

Neville said...

your not taking her or what she said out of context..it's a famous line even if you haven't seen the movie. if you take it as is, it's horrible--you're right. i agree wholeheartedly with you megan! keep blogging!