Tuesday, August 03, 2004

No place to lay my head

"'Hey mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?'
He just grinned and shook my hand, 'No' was all he said"
- "The Weight" by The Band

Whoa, deja vu. I don't know where I'm going to live next year.

I got this e-mail yesterday telling my roommate, Alison, and I that we'd been approved to live off-campus. Funny thing is, we didn't apply to live off-campus. Every year they over-fill the dorms, expecting accepted freshmen to decline Taylor enrollment. Then, too many kids decide to go to Taylor, so they have to move everyone else off campus to make room for the freshman class.

It would be fun to live off-campus. I might be able to live closer to the Echo office and I wouldn't be bound to Open House rules and whatever, but I don't think I'll do it. I wouldn't be eligible for my financial aid if I lived off campus and I'd never get to see my 3SE friends. It's totally not worth it.

Anyway, I e-mail Alison to see what she thinks of the deal and she breaks the news to me that she may not even be coming back to Taylor! Apparently there's this sweet program in CA that would fulfill all her wildest dreams and her Taylor financial aid package stunk so she wasn't even sure she could come back to TU without stopping out a semester. How's that for a run-on? I'm too frustrated to fix it.

So I called Lori Slater at Taylor and she said I have two options: move to 3CE to a single or take on a transfer roommate. I did the new student roommate last year and that sort of worked out because I was a PROBE leader, but this year, I can't be the Welcome Wagon. I have a CRAZY schedule and weird hours with The Echo and all. I'd never be in the room. If I had to be the one introducing her to Taylor, she'd hate Taylor.

I don't want to live on 3CE. I'd found such a home on 3SE last year. Even though the suite I'd be living in isn't that far from South, it wouldn't be the same.

I HATE this roommate thing. I was so excited to be living with Alison. Now it looks like that won't happen and I don't know what to do. I'm starting to dread going back to Taylor.

No comments: