Monday, August 23, 2004

MAC attack!!!

Upland and back in less than 36 hours. It's gotta be a personal record for me.

One of the best parts of being up there (besides the sky... it's so BIG) had to be Sunday at Muncie Alliance Church. God's presence is undeniably tangible when I step inside that simple church. It's beyond my comprehension... and I like it that way.

I love how I can sit in the sanctuary and feel I've learned something fresh and true every Sunday. Yesterday, Pastor Guy taught from Joshua about Points of Passage. Suddenly, I found myself in the middle of a God-lesson-blitz. Guy hit upon everything I've been learning and wrestling with these past few weeks.

He reinforced what I've been reading in John Eldredge's Waking the Dead (highly recommended read) about the Holy Spirit's power of transformation. All this time since I became a Christian, I've been trying to live up to God's standards on my own. I keep failing and I keep asking why. I figured it's just human nature and that God doesn't care. I just need to be the best person I can be. God will forgive me anyway. A good friend alerted me to the falsity of such a statement. Yesterday, Guy said God really doesn't want to see what I can do apart from Him. He wants to be in on it with me.

"The biggest enemy of the Spirit-filled life is self-sufficiency," Guy said. Here I am, railing against God because I don't know how I'm going to ______. I need to trust Him, to live by faith. Only then will God be able to take me into the places He has for me.

I seriously cannot wait to get back up to campus. I'm looking forward to the ways God is going to work in my life during the next semester. There are certain things here in Evansville that I don't want to let go of, but I know being away will be the best for the situation. God has a plan for me, and for the first time, I'm honestly EXCITED about it.

No comments: