Friday, August 27, 2004

Running on two hours

What a day!

It's been good, tho slightly incoherent. After a late night of software troubles and an unexpected trip to Marion at 3 this morning, The Echo made its 2004-05 debut. Anders and I sold quite a few subscriptions to empty-nest afflicted parents. Therefore we made a good bit of progress in our advertising budget for the year. Woo hoo!

I finally got my comp up and running in my room. ResNet has this truly heinous registration process to get on the network now, so after a good three hours in front of the comp, I think I'm set.

I met my roommate today. She's absolutely terrific, although I don't know her very well yet. It's kinda hard to get to know someone when her parents and two siblings are standing in the room. So far, it seems like it's actually the most compatible match I've had at Taylor. What was I so worried about???

I've been decorating the room a little, too, through my sleep-deprived stupor. I found an excerpt from St. Augustine that I absolutely love. It doesn't really relate to anything I wrote in this post, but I like it, so I'm putting it in.

"Praise of the Dance"
by Saint Augustine

I praise the dance, for it frees people from the heaviness of matter and
binds the isolated to community.

I praise the dance, which demands everything: health and a clear spirit and
a buoyant soul.

Dance is a transformation of space, of time, of people, who are in constant
danger of becoming all brain, will, or feeling.

Dancing demands a whole person, one who is firmly anchored in the center of
his life, who is not obsessed by lust for people and things and the demon of
isolation in his own ego.

Dancing demands a freed person, one who vibrates with the equipoise of all
his powers.

I praise the dance.

O man, learn to dance, or else the angels in heaven will not know what to
do with you.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

This is a serious rebuke to those of us who don't dance. I feel judged! I must be obsessed by the demon of isolation in my own ego. Yes, I believe that hits the spot.

Megan said...

Oh... I didn't mean it like that. I just think the piece is beautifully written. It's more of a rebuke of Taylor's LTC (even tho I happily sign the LTC each year). I first heard it in chapel last year. Whoa, drama.